The Annual Update course provides refresher training for people who are required to be first aiders or emergency first aiders within the workplace. The course syllabus follows the suggested format by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) contained within The Health and Safety (First-Aid) Regulations 1981.
Who should attend?
This course is intended for those employers who wish to ensure legal compliance by ensuring that their first aider’s skills are regularly refreshed. It is available for those people who hold current ‘First Aid at Work’ and ‘Emergency First Aid at Work’ certificates.
On completion of training, successful candidates will be able to:
- assess the situation and circumstances in order to act safely, promptly and effectively in an emergency
- administer first aid to an adult casualty who is unconscious (including seizure)
- administer cardiopulmonary resuscitation to an adult, including using an AED
- administer first aid to an adult casualty who is wounded and bleeding
- administer first aid to an adult casualty who is suffering from shock
How long does the course last?
3 hours. Candidates are required to complete three contact hours of training and assessment. It is therefore necessary that candidates are able to attend for the whole duration of the course to allow them to be eligible for continuous assessment and certification.
9.00am until 12.00pm or 1.00pm until 4.00pm
Candidates will be assessed throughout the course. Evidence of underpinning knowledge and practical skills competence will be required.
Successful candidates will have their St Andrew’s First Aid Training and Supplies Ltd ‘First Aid at Work’ or ‘Emergency First Aid at Work’ certificates updated to show that they have attended the Annual Update course. However, attending this course does not extend the lifespan of the original certificate, neither does it replace the original ‘First Aid at Work’ or ‘Emergency First Aid at Work’ certificate.
Along with the HSE, St Andrew’s First Aid Training and Supplies Ltd strongly recommends that candidates complete an Annual Update course each year during the lifespan of their valid certificate to prevent first aid skills fade.
Please consider the following factors when choosing your candidate(s) to attend our First Aid Annual Update course:
- reliability, disposition and communication skills
- aptitude and ability to absorb new knowledge and learn new skills
- ability to cope with stressful and physically demanding emergency procedures
- normal duties, which should be such that they may be able to respond immediately and rapidly to an emergency